In This Article
Everything about the jaguar just emanates power and intrigue.
These fierce and powerful jungle cats are known the world over despite coming from very specific areas of the world and being small in number.
Jaguars are incredible hunters and agile assassins of the jungle that have managed to remain at the top of their food chain for thousands of years.
Even the very name, jaguar, radiates power, it’s no wonder there is a luxury car maker named after them!
Names are important, and when it comes to the jaguar the indigenous peoples got its name one hundred percent right!
These powerful hunters are one of the most stunningly beautiful wild cats and are deserving of a fitting personal name – whether they are a recently adopted kitty for a loving family or are the proud new member of a thriving zoo community.
This comprehensive guide to jaguar naming will offer you a ton of naming options taken from the jaguar’s homeland, mythology, pop culture, and the depths of our imaginations.
Here is a 169+ unique and interesting jaguar names list:
Best Jaguar Names
- Itza – Itza was a huge Maya temple built in what is now known as Yucatan Mexico.
- Koda – Koda Black, is a good name for a black jaguar, is it not?
- Uxmal – The ancient Maya city (which is located in what is now known as Mexico).
- Ek Balam
- Tula – The Mesoamerican site of worship in North West Mexico
- Aslan – The great divine being of the lands of Narnia.
- Levi – Jaguars love to wear jeans.
- Brenda – A name meaning sword, which is suitable for an animal that is patronized by an ancient class of elite swordsmen.
- Tariq – Tariq, meaning the morning star. Striker, knocker, visitor. Would you like a jaguar to come and visit your home? You would hope they would knock first.
- Maggie – Wake up Maggie I think I’ve got something to say to you…
- Redwood – Jaguars do not live anywhere near the redwoods, however, if they could move home they probably would appreciate these mighty trees more than most!
- Opal – A beautiful multicolored gemstone that suits these beautiful multicolored wild cats.
- Chihuahua – One of Mexico’s biggest cities.
- Beverley – Beverley’s Hills chihuahua.
Girl Jaguar Names
- Savanna – If lions can be king of the jungle, for some reason, does that mean jaguars can be the queen of the savanna?
- Jemima – Jemima puddle duck? No. Jemima jaguar. Who would win in a fight?
- Faith – Faith means… Faith. Shocker.
- Elsie – Meaning pledged to god.
- Minnie – Minnie mouse is a good name for one of the world’s biggest cats, right?
Boy Jaguar Names
- Rudolph – Rudolph the big-nosed jaguar, had a very shiny nose.
- Tywin – Tywin Lannister, is perhaps the only capable military leader in Game of Thrones.
- Pezo – Pezo is a first name from the Chewa tribe and it means faith.
- Juan – This is the Spanish version of John and means a gift from god.
Unisex Names For Jaguars
- Jamie – James, Jamie, Jamboree, it could be anything.
- Hopper – Sheriff Hopper
- Eleven – Eleven could be a good name for a girl or a boy, even if we only know famous female elevens.
- Jam – Jam the jaguar is not restricted by age or gender.
Cute Names For Jaguars
- Toe-beans – Kittens have toe beans, what do jaguars have? Toe potatoes? No… it doesn’t sound as good.
- Big-nose – Jaguars have big noses because they need to have an elite sense of smell to track their prey through the thick, luscious, jungles.
- Floppy ears
- Mittens – Kitten Mittens, does your cat get chilly toe beans?
- Kit-kat – Jaguars are notoriously plump, Kit-Kat Chunky?
- Cupcake – Jaguars prefer cupcakes on their birthday.
Good Names For Jaguars
- Alpha – Jaguars do not run in packs, every male is the alpha (until proven otherwise)
- Judge – Judge, Jury, and executioner of the jungle.
- Lazy-bones – Jaguars laze around throughout the day and enjoy hunting at night.
- Apex – Jaguars are almost always the apex predator in their environments.
- King – Why are lions called the king of the Jungle when they don’t live anywhere near the jungle?
- Mowgli – The man-cub and protagonist in the Jungle Book
Funny Names For A Jaguar
- Spot – Many jaguars are spotted, they don’t have to be jet black!
- Whiskers – Why can’t a jaguar be called whiskers, what’s wrong with that?
- Noodles – Kittens love noodles and jaguars love oodles of noodles.
- Taquito – A delicious rolled taco originating from Mexico.
- Beans – Beans are a staple of the Aztec diet and a staple of the Jaguar’s toes (toe beans!)
Cool Names For Jaguars
- Jade – The beautiful ornate green mineral used for jewelry across the world.
- Chiller – Chillin’ my guy.
- Sable – The color black, as well as a funny little forest critter in East Asia.
- Dread – Judge Dredd
Unique Names For Jaguars
- Underworld – The Jaguar god of the underworld in Maya culture is also the god of fire and war. Quite a lot under just one god’s jurisdiction!
- Pax – The Maya month of Pax is patronized by the Jaguar (who vomits blood, don’t tell your jaguar that or he might not like the name anymore)
- Twin – The Maya jaguar twin hero (the particularly violent twin!)
- Apollo – The ancient greek god of hunting (and the sun)
- Artemis – The ancient greek god of hunting (and the moon!)
- Mixcoatl – Mixcoatl is the Aztec god of the hunt.
- Opochtli – Another Aztec god, this one is of fishing – jaguars are exceptionally good swimmers and enjoy eating fish when they can catch them.
- Coyo – Named after Coyolxauhqui, the Aztec goddess of the moon. You can use the full version of the name, but it’s a bit too wordy for most jaguars to pronounce!
- Diana – Dianna, goddess of the hunt and wild animals.
- Ares – Greek god of war, sometimes seen wearing a lion or jaguar pelt on his shoulders.
- Huitzilopochtli – A bit of a mouthful but Huitzilopochtli was the god of sacrifice and was often a ritualistic part of the jaguar warriors’ life.
- Shiva – A pet tiger in the Walking Dead series.
- Galileu – The jaguar in Turma do Perere
- Proxima – Frank Wolff’s jaguar companion in the new blockbuster movie Jungle Cruise.
- Olmec – There are were-jaguars (yes, like a werewolf) in Olmec mythology.
- Suku – Awilix has a pet jaguar in the MOBA game Smite.
- Sekhmet – The Egyptian goddess who had the head of a lion.
- Willie – Kansas State Universities’ mascot is willie the wildcat.
- Jackson – The Jacksonville NFL team uses the jaguar as their patron and mascot.
- Pura – Pura is a big cat from the video game series Crash Bandicoot.
- Khajiit – In the all-time classic RPG Skyrim, the Khajiit are a warrior cat race of people with ferocious claws and a propensity for thievery.
- Hunter – This one is a bit obvious, jaguars are excellent hunters. But, it is also a beloved character from the Spyro video game series.
- Tawky Tawny – A big cat companion from the Captain Marvel comic book series. Tawky hasn’t quite made his way to the cinematic universe yet.
- Richie – From One Piece (a famous manga that is also a tv series).
- Hobbes – He may not be a jaguar per se, but Calvin’s best friend Hobbes is an excellent namesake for any feline companion.
Famous Jaguar Names
- Salem – Sabrina the teenage witch’s cat. Is Salem a good name for a witch’s cat? Didn’t the witches get burnt at Salem? Weird.
- Bagheera – Perhaps the most famous jaguar of all time.
- Isis – Catwoman’s feline companion.
- Snowball – Lisa Simpsons’ Snowball (Snowball 2?).
- Lucifer – No, not the devil, the cat from Cinderella.
- Luna – From Sailor Moon.
- Binx – From Hocus Pocus.
- Winkie – From escape to witch mountain.
- Guenhwyvar – A black panther from the famous Dark Elf Trilogy.
- Paint – Named after Painted Jaguar, a jaguar cub from the Just So Stories.
Names For Black Jaguars
- Noir – Black Noir (from the boys) is a pitch black “superhero”.
- Chadwick – Chadwick Boseman, the newest Black Panther.
- Spector – Named after Marc Spector (Moon Knight)
- Midnight – Is it always darkest just before dawn, or is it darker at midnight?
- Licorice – Everyone’s (okay maybe not everyone’s) favorite black sweets.
- Toothless – Named after the dragon protagonist from how to train your dragon.
- Darth Vader – Is Darth Vader the true apex predator?
- Sooty – Everyone always remembers sooty, but why not sweep?
- Coal – With coats as dark as coal how could you pick any other name?
As you can likely clearly see, the naming inspirations for your new jaguar have tried to stay close to the roots of the original name (in most cases!).
The jaguar is a powerful beast that deserves a name that reflects that.
Mythological beasts and hunters make great naming choices because they capture the spirit of the jaguar on both sides of the coin.
Jaguars are the optimal hunter as well as being a historic, and folklore, symbol of a successful hunter.
In ancient Aztec cultures Jaguar Warriors were the elite of the elite and would embody the jaguar, wearing its pelt (often proving they had managed to kill one of these ferocious fighters, and cementing themself in society.
Imagine facing a warrior cloaked in a jaguar’s pelt, would you feel good about your odds? No.
Help Choosing The Perfect Name
Since the very name “jaguar” is so perfectly on the nose in capturing the very essence of what this wild beast is, it’s no easy task naming your jaguar and living up to the standards that the indigenous peoples have set.
Whether you feel a name steeped in mythology and mystery is right for you and your jaguar, or you would prefer to go the science fiction and fantasy route, hopefully, this guide has given you a good jumping-off) point (if we haven’t already provided you with the perfect name!).
Hopefully, you now have everything you need to pick the right name for your new Jaguar.
Naming can be very tricky, so guides like this are especially helpful, since there are so many cool avenues you can explore for naming there is no wonder that most people prefer to use detailed lists like this to help inform their naming decision!
If you are interested in other animals’ names or are looking for a little more inspiration, you may be interested in some other naming guides we have put together.
After all, who says a great name for a cobra or a crocodile isn’t also great for a jaguar?
Good luck on your naming quest and good luck with your new Jaguar.
Until next time!