In This Article
Alpacas are some of the most adorable animals on the planet. And with their soft, fuzzy coats, it’s no wonder they’ve become one of the most popular pets around!
If you’re looking for a creative and unique name for your new alpaca friend, you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, we’ll be sharing some of the best, most famous, and cutest alpaca names around.
So whether you’re just starting to think about names or you’re already narrowing down your list, we hope this article will help you choose the perfect name for your new pet alpaca!
Let’s dive in.
Best Alpaca Names
- Alan – There is a fifty percent chance you don’t need to read any more names on this list.
- Alonzo – Alonzo Mourning, Miami Heat Legend, and alpaca fan.
- Elf – You’ve heard of Elf on a Shelf. Are you ready for alpaca on a…
- Amalie – Amalie means work, which is a good name for an especially career-driven alpaca.
- Anthony – Anthony Bourdain, world-famous chef, and influential documentary maker, has the alpaca as his spirit animal. Maybe.
- Fuzzball – Every alpaca is just an energetic fuzzball at heart.
- Feather Face
- Buckbeak – Named after the famous, and very real, Hippogriff.
- Bilbo – Did Bilbo mind being referred to as “the burglar”? There are much nicer titles to have!
- Pippin – Pippin’s real name was Peregrin Took. Which is an interesting name, but you can see why he chose to change it.
- Bessy – Bessy is a commonly used name for cows why can’t it be used for alpacas too?
- Lucy – A female name meaning “as of light”.
- Chips – Alpacas don’t eat fish so their chippy order tends to be just the chips. And a pineapple fritter, if you’re offering.
- Pina Colada – Every alpaca dreams of the day they get to sit on a white sandy beach sipping Pina Coladas and snooze in the afternoon sun.
- Fruit Punch
- Olive – Did you know Popeye’s girlfriend was called Olive Oyl?
- Chunker – If you have an especially porky pal, you may want to consider the endearing nickname “Chunker”.
- El Dorado
- Mahi Mahi
- Dudley – Was Dudley just a bad kid or did his parents raise him to be a bully? Ahh, the classic nature vs nurture argument
Female Alpaca Names
In need of a girl alpaca moniker? Check out these:
- Fiona – Is the story of Shrek and Fiona the most genuinely heartwarming fairytale?
- Alice – Named after Alice in Wonderland. If you have a pet alpaca you are already in Wonderland. What a treat.
- Juliet – Gnomeo and Juliet is a real work of art. Shakespeare who?
- Sara – A name of Hebrew origin that was popularised in Southern American cultures which means princess.
- Cinderella – Replace Cinderella with an alpaca and tell me that the movie is not instantly ten times better.
- Granny – Perfect for an old alpaca. Or simply one that has an old soul.
- Phoebe – Was Phoebe the best character on the hit US sitcom friends?
- Rachel – Or was it Rachel?
Male Alpaca Names
- Shaggy – Shaggy from Scooby Doo or shaggy because of their coat?
- Manfred – Manfred the mammoth was the “main” character in Ice Age.
- Manny – Manny is how we know Manfred, it is his far superior nickname.
- Scrat – Did you know the squirrel in Ice Age who can’t quite ever get his acorn has a name? It’s Scrat.
- Julian – Named after King Julian. King of the Madagascan Jungle.
- Moto Moto – Moto Moto likes you.
- Marty – Marty the Zebra, who is definitely white with black stripes.
- Mort – The cutest lemur in the whole jungle.
- Brucey – Named after Bruce the shark from Finding Nemo.
- Trevor – The most unhinged videogame character to ever be dreamt up (“nightmared” up?)
- Reuben – Does anyone truly like Reuben sandwiches? Yes, alpacas do. Vegan, of course.
- Mitch – Short for Mitchell, obviously. No self-respecting alpaca is simply called Mitch.
Unisex Names For Alpacas
- Wooly – Because alpacas are wooly no matter their gender.
- Jumper – Are all alpacas technically wearing deconstructed jumpers?
- Sweater vest – An alpaca wool sweater vest is the fanciest of all sweater vests.
- Curly – Suri alpacas have longer coats but they don’t have the curliest!
- A-dawg – For an alpaca that is genuinely gangsta.
- Aron – While most often used as a boy’s name aron can also be used as a girl’s name.
- Aurora – More commonly referred to as polar lights, or the northern lights, but can also be called an aurora.
- Art Attack – The absolute pinnacle of children’s television.
Cute Alpaca Names
- Twinkle – Twinkle-twinkle little alpaca how does your coat look so dapper?
- Doughnut – A sweet treat for your sweet little friend.
- Candy corn – Does anyone know what candy corn actually is? Is it just sweet popcorn?
- Huggles – Imagine having an alpaca and not spending every waking moment hugging it.
- Fluffer – Alpacas do be fluffy.
- Cloud – Alpaca’s coats are as soft as a cloud.
- Cotton Candy – The softest, billowiest, of candy treats.
- Candy Floss – Cotton Candy for people that know how to name things properly.
- Pillow – Who wouldn’t use an alpaca as a pillow? Can you think of anything softer? Maybe something that smells better, but not softer.
Good Names For Alpacas
- Alfredo – Named after alfredo pasta sauce.
- Antipasti – let’s stick with an Italian theme maybe?
- Arancini – Deep-fried risotto balls full of cheese, meat, or tomato.
- Aglio – A lightly fried garlic pasta dish. Tastes great but gives one terrible breath.
- Anguria – Anguria means watermelon.
- Arancia – The Italian word for Orange, the fruit not the color.
- Arnekub – The Italian word for apricot,
- Ananas – This means pineapple, which is a good name in English too. Pineapples the Alpaca.
- Agnello – The Italian name for lamb. This is interesting because alpacas are basically long-necked sheep if you think about it…
- Asino – This one means donkey, it’s certainly not a food, but it is Italian. Does it count? Who cares, it’s a good name for an alpaca.
Funny Alpaca Names
- Al Gore – Good for an especially environmentally conscious alpaca.
- Chewpaca – Chewbacca, anyone?
- Scales – It is a little-known fact alpacas are not known to have scales.
- Gill – Nor are they known to have gills or be particularly strong swimmers.
- Herbert – Because why not?
- Archibald – Archibald the alpaca rolls of the tongue.
- Augustus Gloop – Augustus gloop the big fat nincompoop.
- Anteater – Do alpacas eat ants? Don’t be ridiculous.
- Amazon Prime – Is this one funny or is it just free advertising for Jeff Bezos? Is Jeff Bezos a better alpaca name?
Cool Names For Alpacas
- Blizzard – Blizzards are pretty damn cold.
- Thunder – A powerful name for an alpaca. Especially if that alpaca is scared of thunderstorms.
- Dumbo – Does your alpaca have big ears? Can he fly?
- Melman – Melman the giraffe turned Melman from a lame name into a cool name, right guys?
- Poodle – Alpacas kind of look like giant poodles in a way. They have similar coats. Could you take a baby alpaca to doggy daycare?
Unique Names For Alpacas
- Apu – The Inca mountain god and protector of villages.
- Manco – Manco founded the Inca empire in South America.
- Inti – The Incan sun god and orchestrator of the creation of the world.
- Kon – The god of rain and wind that predated the Inca people.
- Pacha – The creator of the world.
- Supay – The god of death in many Southern American native cultures.
- Vichama – Incan god of death.
- Pachacamac – The creator of human beings in Inca mythology.
- Willka – Willka is the grandchild of the gods and is celebrated at feasts.
- Ehecatl – The Aztec god of wind and air.
- Tezcat – Named after Tezcatlipoca the smoking mirror god.
- Quetzalcoatl – The Aztec plumed serpent of myth and legend.
- Tlaloc – The god of rain and lightning.
- Chaac – The Mayan Rain god.
- Kukulkan – The Mayan serpent god.
- Itzamna – The Mayan god of creation and father of humans.
- Yum Kaax – Mayan nature god of fauna and flora.
- Kueyen – The Mapuche spirit who governs all other spirits (stars).
- Hina – Goddess of sea animals (in the culture of Easter Island).
- Rira – The goddess of coconuts in the Easter Island mythology.
Famous Alpaca Names
- Groove – In honor of the emperor’s new groove.
- Kuzco – The emperor gets turned into an alpaca in the emperor’s new groove.
- Evan – Evan Almighty.
- Tina – From Napoleon Dynamite.
- Frau – In Austin powers 3 they consider going into the alpaca business.
- Yzma – Protagonist in the emperor’s new groove.
- Pacha – The alpaca herder in the emperor’s new groove.
- Carl – The YouTube sensation.
- Paul – The YouTube sensation.
Names For White Alpacas
- Snowdrop – Named after the flower, not a drop of snow, it’s an important distinction that you should bring up at any opportunity you get.
- Rice crispy – It HAS to be Rice Krispies, coco pops are a no-go for a white alpaca.
- Snow – Snow white.
- Cream – Not all white alpacas are snow white. Some are a little more creamy.
- Frosty – Frosty the snowman move out of the way, there is a new frosty in town.
- Albin – Stemming from Albino. This is another good choice if you don’t mind being a little on the nose.
- William – William the white alpaca. Bill for short, for some reason.
Names For Red Alpacas
- Ember – The red embers in the coals of a dying fire.
- Redford – REDford. Get it? Do you? I would hope so!
- Clifford – Obviously you can’t leave out Clifford the big red alpaca when you’re considering naming options.
- Jam – Jam is a perfectly good name, but it needs to be strawberry or raspberry, otherwise it’s not red, and then what’s the point?
- Merlot – Alpacas only drink the finest aged merlot. They are very sophisticated like that.
- Ruby – A lovely name for your little gem of an alpaca.
- Reginald – Reginald the red alpaca is quite a regal-sounding name, don’t you think?
Names For Brown Alpacas
- Acorn – Because acorns are brown, duh.
- Coco – I think this one is self-explanatory.
- Nutella – Who doesn’t love Nutella?
- Baileys – A lovely liqueur for a lovely alpaca.
- Amber – The more “orangey” your alpaca is the better this name is.
- Auburn – A good name for a brown alpaca.
- Chocolate – The perfect name for an especially dark brown alpaca.
- Twix – This works best for twin alpacas. Left Twix right Twix.
- Brownie – Because it’s brown… or because it’s a lovely chocolatey treat. I’m not sure which reason is better.
- Pinecone – Last but not least, pinecone. Maybe it actually is the least…
Alpacas, as we know them today, originated in the Americas and that’s where a lot of the names in this list have originated from.
From North to South, alpacas have made their way across these two continents and touched the lives of everyone they met along the way!
Many of these names come from native American cultures, Aztecs, Mayans, and a few lesser-known civilizations.
There are a few modern characters, current names, jokes, and more thrown in there but the bulk of the names have a historical and cultural context behind them that your alpaca will likely identify with.
Except if you chose to go with Alan, there is no context for that he’s just Alan.
Help Choosing The Perfect Name
Choosing the perfect name for your pet alpaca is an important task that should be given the time and energy that it deserves.
You only get one shot at naming your fluffy alpaca so you better make it count. There is scientific evidence that alpacas that get renamed more than twice go on to become easily confused and develop lactose intolerance, so be careful.
You wouldn’t want to neglect your cute alpaca of ice cream, would you? It’s always a good idea to consult naming guides like this for help choosing the right name as it allows you to really weigh all of your options and make the best choice possible.
Hopefully, after giving this comprehensive list of alpaca names a thorough browse you have managed to generate a shortlist of good potential options for your alpaca.
Alpacas are becoming one of the most popular animals in the United States, maybe it’s because alpacas feel a connection to their original home and are beginning to move back, maybe it’s a more realistic but far less cool reason. Who knows?
Whatever you decide to do, make sure you put as much thought into picking the right name as possible.
Alpacas are so loving and friendly that they deserve a name that suits them, not just the first name that pops into your head.
Good luck on your alpaca naming adventure.