In This Article
Are you interested in excellent, new, or unique nicknames that start with M?
For centuries, people have given each other shortened versions of names to signify friendship, companionship, and love.
In this article, we’ll take a look into some of the more random M names, along with historical names and fun facts, starting with the best nicknames that begin with M.
Best Nicknames That Start With M
We have to start with the best of the best.
These nicknames are for your best friends, the love of your life, or the really cool professor you had in college.
Whether it’s because you love to be sweet or because there’s something special about these words, you’re sure to find one that works for you.
- Misty Eyes – We all have a hopeless romantic in our friend group
- Marbles – Great for people who have lost their marbles
- My Lover
Nicknames For Boys That Start With M
Men never like nicknames, which is why we’ve made you an entire list!
Better get him used to it now before he realizes what’s going on.
We hope these bring a smile to your face and his.
- Monroe – More like Washington and less like Marilyn
- Mr. Right – This one is for “the one”
- My Lad
- Maximus Prime
- Mud Finger
- Mr. Wrong – This is the one your dad will probably use
- Midnight Rambler
- Mega_Shot – Any basketball players here?
- Mental – You know who I’m talking about
- Mr. Lucky
- Monsieur – As classy as it is foreign
- Married Man
- Mr. Thanksgiving – The family member that hosts the holidays
- Make-You-Tap-Out – For your wrestling friends
- Mr. Wholesome
- Mick the Trick
- My Dude
- Midnight Bat
- Mad Kid
- Mal – Can sometimes mean “bad” in other languages
- Midnight Rider
- Monkey Buns
- Mica – For your shining but flaky friends (just like the mineral)
- Mr. Fab
- Man – For your friends named Guy
- Mad Jack
- Midnight Rider – There’s a biker in every group
Nicknames For Girls That Start With M
You can’t go wrong with giving a girl a sweet nickname.
They’ll answer to just about anything and love that you put in the time to think about them.
Try one of these out next time you call her!
- My Pumpkin Pie – Who doesn’t love pie?
- My Queen – As she should be
- Miss Meow – For the crazy cat lady
- Mama Bear – Everyone has a “mom friend”
- Miss Fix It
- M’Lady – You’ll have to bow when you say this one
- Miss Bossy Pants – Use your discretion with this one!
- My Temptress
- MaryAlice – Just keep adding names
- MaryAliceKayNoelle – You get the idea
- Midnight Pixie
- Miss-Ma’am – To be ultra-respectful
Cool Nicknames That Start With M
Occasionally, we have to sound like we know our stuff.
These cool nicknames will make heads turn and make sure people take us seriously!
- Main Squeeze – The one, the true, the best friend
- Micro Star
- Mad Machine
- Money Maker
- Metal Grin – For the friend with the gold teeth
- Magic Mike – We all have a Pretty Boy in our lives
- Most Wanted – The friend who gets in trouble constantly
- Mystery Meat – For cafeteria workers
- Mercury Reborn
- Movie Star
- Mr. Mosby – Stop running in my lobby!
- Mad Viral
- Mega Star
- Mutiny Marc
Cute Nicknames That Start With M
Pet names are one of the best ways to tell someone you love them out loud.
Check out these sweet names that start with M, sure to make you and your partner smile.
- My Dear
- Movie Star
- My Other Half
- Master – Could be cute, could be terrifying
- Malcolm in the Middle – They don’t need to be named Malcolm or be in the middle
- Mad Kiss
- My Everything
- My Sunshine
- My Lil Angel
- My Lil Chicken Nugget – My personal favorite
- My Sweet
- My Light
- My Boo
Funny Nicknames That Start With M
Taking a joke is an excellent sign of a healthy friendship.
The next time you see your buddy, give them one of these funny nicknames and see what they say!
If you’re lucky, they’ll give you one right back.
- Man Meat – For the butchers
- Modem Monitor – Whoever pays for the internet
- Murderous Wild One
- Munchies – We all have that one friend
- Mixed Veggies – For Vegans
- Mindless Bobcat
- Monald McRonald
- Money Monster – Give this one to your girlfriend!
- Muggles – We all have one friend that’s never read the series
- Melon Head
- Manilla Folder
- Mesopotamia – For the history majors
- Mudpie Man
- Mulberry Bush
- Mushroom Lad – That one friend that’s kind of like a goblin
- Mahi Mahi
- Monkey Cheeks
- Magical Fairy
- Mustard Centaur
- Mywilltolivedoesnotexist – For the Gen-Z kids
- Murder Muffin
- Mustard Man
- Matt – Because Matt is a silly name
- Mud Blood
- Mr. GluP
- Muenster Monster – For your lactose intolerant friends
- Municipal Leader
Nickname Inspiration For The Letter M
All our friends are different, so it can be challenging to find the perfect names for them.
Luckily, there are so many places to turn for ideas on the letter M.
You can make your own nicknames by following a few guidelines.
Try to keep the name shorter.
This way, you’ll be able to remember it the next time you see your friend.
The shorter the name, the less likely it is to have a bad connotation.
Heck, just call somebody “M!”
Here’s a quick list of examples:
Go for a meaningful name. Think about your favorite book character or TV show host.
Merlin is my favorite, while my friend loves Mad Max.
If you’re big into history, look for some historical names.
Some of them can be pretty fun and pretty out there!
- Macbeth – A medieval king of Scotland
- MacDonald – First Labour prime minister
- Macmillan – Post-war Conservative prime minister
- Mandela – The first democratically elected president of his country
- Michelangelo – Italian Renaissance artist
Another option is going for names that sound like sounds.
Do your research. There’s a plethora of fun, exciting names and words out there that this list doesn’t begin to touch on.
Names can come from anywhere!
Help Choosing an M Nickname
Our favorite place to look is, you guessed it, the dictionary!
Some crazy words in there don’t sound like they belong to the English language at all.
Another great place to check things out is Reddit.
By searching the letter “M” in the general search bar, you’ll find hundreds of usernames that are great for borrowing.
Still, with Reddit, start a thread! Post in r/namenerds and explain your situation.
They can be a great help with all things alphabet related.
Call up a friend and give them the letter M.
Anything in front of them that starts with M they’re bound to shout out, and sometimes you can get some hilarious answers.
If you’ve chosen an M nickname already, run it by a few friends.
Make sure it’s not already used in their lives, or they don’t have a negative association with it.
History Of the Letter M Nicknames
M is the thirteenth letter of the alphabet and corresponds to the Phoenician mem, the Semitic mem, and to the Greek mu.
The Semitic form may come from an earlier sign representing waves of water.
The word “Nickname” comes from ekename (also seen as eke name), which means “additional name.” The term can be seen as far back as 1303!
We can trace the etymology back to the Old English “an ekename” (an additional name) to “a nekename,” which sounds a lot more like “a nickname!”
This is because the common language was spoken, not written down.
We hope this list of nicknames that start with M has given you a great start on naming your best friends, partners, coworkers, and loved ones.
Stick with the nickname inspirations, and you’ll be able to create your own in no time.