Click the links below to skip to the section in this post:
Coming up with a name for a pet is always pretty difficult, but have you ever tried to come up with a name for a seal?
That kind of situation doesn’t come up nearly as often, so we wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of people had trouble coming up with good seal names.
If you are such a person, this list will do you some good. Here, we will cover the best names for seals available, from the cute to the cool and everything in between.
Whether you want a name for a seal of a specific color or would like to name them after a famous cartoon seal, you will find many sources of inspiration here.
Let’s dive in.
Best Seal Names
It’s hard to objectively judge the “best” names for a seal, but in our opinion, these are some of the most interesting and memorable, which gives them enough of a reason to be labeled the “best.”
There are names here suitable for both males and females, as well as seals of all colors and personalities!
- Puma – A type of cat with some passing similarity to a seal in the face
- Otter – Another sea animal that is popular at aquariums and has a similar face to a seal
Female Seal Names
If you want to pick a name that is specific to the female gender of the seal in question, look no further than this list.
There are some fantastic examples of great names here for that special girl seal in your life.
Male Seal Names
Picking a good name for a male seal might actually be a bit easier than picking a name for a female seal, but nonetheless, you may be in need of some inspiration.
Use this list to get a good idea of some great names for a male seal.
- Sole – A type of fish, but could also reference a seal’s soft skin and similarity to a shoe sole
Unisex Names for Seals
If picking a gender-specific name for a seal is too much effort, there is certainly no issue with picking a unisex name.
These names can be used for either male or female seals pretty much interchangeably, which makes them great in their own way.
- Slouch – A lazy person that doesn’t move around much
- Loco – Spanish for crazy, fitting for a wild seal
- Pillow – Seals have plump, soft-looking bodies
- Twister – Seals often twist and turn while swimming around, like a twister
- Sharkbait – An ironic and cheeky name referring to the food chain
- Rudder – A rudder is a device that is used to steer ships
Cute Names For Seals
Seals are pretty cute by nature, so picking a cute name to go with them is just common sense in the eyes of many.
But there are so many options for cute names out there, that it can almost be difficult to come up with a good one.
Use this list for inspiration on that front.
- Arrow – A seal moves through the water with the speed of an arrow
- Frolic – A word that means to play cheerfully
Names For A Baby Seal
Any name you give to a baby seal needs to be a good name for it when it becomes an adult, which is very important to remember.
Still, there is something to be said about giving an animal a name that is just so fitting when it is a baby.
Check out these options!
- Blubber – A seal’s body is covered in blubber, which is how they stay warm. A perfect name for a seal pup
- Pup – Baby seals are called pups
- Chibi – A Japanese term that means “small” or “cute.”
- Yoda – A popular character from the Star Wars franchise
- Snorkel – A device that allows people to breathe underwater
- Namaste – A respectful greeting in India
Good Names For Seals
What makes a name good? What makes a name good for a seal?
That’s probably mostly up to opinion, but in our books, the following list of names includes many options that can easily be considered “good” names for seals.
- Ghost – Seals can blend in with their environment quite well
- Blackbeard – Name of a famous pirate, and seals often look like they have bears
- Earl – A nobleman in the United Kingdom
- Baikal – Name of the deepest lake in the world
- Bacchus – The Greek god of wine
Funny Names For Seals
You can’t give funny names to people without them being upset with you, so animals are the perfect option when you want to give a funny name to something.
Trust us, there are plenty of funny names to choose from when it comes to seals.
Here are some of our favorites!
- Captain – The title of someone who is in charge of a ship
- Bogey – A term used to describe a hostile aircraft in combat, but also a golf term
- Manu – Means “Born Second,” ideal for a seal in such a situation
- Patch – Fitting for a seal that has a notable patch on its skin
- Popeye – Name of a famous cartoon sailor
Cool Names For Seals
Maybe you get the feeling that your seal is going to be a cool dude.
In such a case, you’ll probably want to come up with a cool name for that seal as well.
Well, this list should have a couple of names that are suitably cool for the striking seal in question.
- Bond – Like James Bond
- Leo – Particularly fitting for sea lions
- Excalibur – The legendary sword of King Arthur
- Excelsior – A word used to describe something of superior quality
- Domino – Means “lord” in Latin, but can also refer to the common game of Dominoes
- Slick – Seal skin often feels slick due to being wet
- Admiral – The highest rank in a military’s navy
Unique Names For A Seal
When you want to try and set your seal apart from all of the other seals, one of the only things you can do is try to pick a name that no other seal has.
These unique seal monikers should help provide your seal with a unique identity that few other animals can infringe on.
- Astro – Means “of the stars”
- Teiko – Means “to hit the mark”
- Garnet – A type of gemstone that is dark red/burgundy
- Zeppelin – A seal shares some striking resemblance with the shape of a zeppelin
- Torpedo – A seal’s body is very similar to the shape of a torpedo
- Bulbous – The word “bulbous” describes something large and round, like a seal
Names For White Seals
If you are looking for a name that is specifically fitting for a white seal, these names will serve you well.
They are perfect for a seal that has skin as white as snow, clouds, or whatever else you can attribute such color to.
- Purity – Purity is often associated with the color white
- Ivory – A white material that comes from animal tusks
- Flax – A type of seed that is an off-white color
Names For Gray Seals
Speaking of seals that are a certain color, a great many seals are gray.
In fact, gray is one of the most common colors for seals.
So if you want a name for a gray seal, this list will provide you with many examples of fitting names for them.
- Graphite – Used to make pencils, which makes gray or dark gray marks on paper
- Slate – A bluish-gray type of stone
- Pewter – A grayish-silver metal alloy often used for silverware
- Flint – A type of rock that is usually gray and used to start fires
- Onyx – A very dark, almost black silicate material
Cartoon Seal Names
There have been many renditions of seals in cartoons over the years.
If you want to name your seal after a cartoon version of one, these are some noteworthy cartoon seals that have existed over the years.
- Smaxey – The former seal mascot of Kellogg’s Sugar Smacks
- Hunter – A leopard seal in The Penguins of Madagascar
- Pup – A seal from In Search of Santa
- Chip – A seal from Hello Kitty’s Furry Tale Theater
- Robby – A friend of Lars from The Little Polar Bear
- Whiskers – From Manta and Moray
- Seabert – From the cartoon “Seabert.”
- Sully – A sea lion from Danger Rangers
- Esmeralda – The sea lion from Disney’s “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea”
- Wolfgang the Seal – Former character from Sesame Street
- Robby – Friend of Pingu
- Andre – From the cartoon of the same name
- Kotick – The main character in Rudyard Kipling’s short story The White Seal
- Short Fuse – A harp seal in the Penguins of Madagascar
- Fluke, Rudder and Gerald – Sea lions from Finding Dory
- Stefano – A sea lion in Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted
- Sneezly – Hanna Barbera’s sneezing seal from Breezly and Sneezly
- Salty – A sea lion that appears in the Disney cartoons Pluto’s Playmate and Mickey and the Seal
- Sandy – An orphaned seal from the film Sandy the Seal
- Slappy – The sea lion from the film Slappy and the Stinkers
- SeeMore – An earless seal from SeeMore’s Playhouse
- Thornton – A harbor seal from Shark Bait
- Flynn – An elephant seal in Ice Age 4: Continental Drift
Picking a name for a seal can be difficult, but there are many places to look to for inspiration.
The easiest thing to do is think about the specific features of the seal. What do they look like? What stands out most about them? What is their behavior like?
These things can help you pick out a great name for them.
You can also look at the types of names that seals at zoos and aquariums often have.
You could name them after their (or your) favorite food, or after something else that you particularly like.
When it comes to naming any animal, almost anything can work, even if it sounds silly on the surface!
So look at anything that sounds good to you.
Help Choosing The Perfect Name
It’s hard to judge what a “perfect” name really is, but overall, the easiest way to pick a very fitting name for a seal is to find something that really encapsulates them, something that describes them to a T.
You want to pick a name that causes everyone who hears it to shake their head and say “yeah, that makes sense.”
But at the end of the day, you want to pick a name that you like more than anything else.
A seal will be happy with whatever name you give it, so the most important thing is to pick a name that you think is perfect. As long as you believe that, it’s true!
Keep that in mind when picking a name. If you’re happy with it, that’s what matters.
There are many types of seal monikers out there: cute ones, cool ones, ones that are perfect for guys, girls, or both.
But no matter which name is the perfect fit for your seal, rest assured that there is a good choice out there. All you have to do is come up with the right one.
Lists like this one are a perfect way to get some awesome ideas.