In This Article
Snails are one of the most underrated creatures on the planet.
They’re slow, slimy, and have a bad reputation for being pests. But snails are also gentle, curious, and unique creatures that deserve more attention.
That’s why we’ve gathered 190 of the best snail names out there.
Whether you’re looking for a cute name or a funny name, we’ve got you covered.
So roll up your sleeves and get ready to meet some amazing snails!
Let’s dive in.
Best Snail Names
- Azalea – Named after the lovely flower. A good name for a lovely snail.
- Pan – The god of nature and the wilds. And by definition snails.
- Patagonia – The most sustainable clothing brand. Or at least the most charitable.
- Eden – Named after the garden of Eden.
- Bramble – Bramble bushes are nasty and prickly – the complete opposite of a snail!
- Terra – Meaning of the earth. Another Latin name.
- Fleur – French for flower.
- Otter – Who doesn’t love otters? Otto is also a great choice for a male snail.
- Samphire – A massively underrated herb.
- Geodude – The cool guy of the Pokemon world.
Names For A Girl Snail
- Stella – Stella is a Latin name that means celestial star.
- Sara – Meaning princess. For your little snail princess.
- Selena – Selena is a Greek name that means “The Moon”.
- Sasha – Meaning defender.
- Soleil – Meaning sunny!
Names For A Boy Snail
- Silas – Silas is an ancient Greek and Latin name that means from the wood or from the forest.
Unisex Names For Snails
- Oakley – One of the only tree names that would be suitable for a person as well as a snail.
- Willow – Probably the only other suitable tree name.
- Beach – This could be in reference to beaches or beach trees. Beaches or beaches?
- Cacti – The plural of cactus is cacti, why can’t the plural of snail be snaili?
Cute Snail Names
Looking for a name for a baby snail? Check out these options:
- Teeny – Teeny Tiny Snails.
- Poodles – Toy poodles are the snails of the dog world.
- Wind in The Willows
Good Names For Your Favorite Pet Snail
Funny Snail Names
- Gareth Snail
- Christian Snail
- Finn Snailhard
- Mail the Snail
- Liam Snailson
Cool Names For Snails
- Slugger – Or would they prefer to be called Snailer?
- Bonzai – Named after the Bonzai tree. The coolest and smallest of all the trees.
- Lego – For snails that like to play on bricks in the garden.
- Drifter – A great name for snails that go so fast they drift around corners.
- Bentley – A cool car for a cool snail.
- Audi – A cool car for snails that are operating on a slightly stricter budget but are still able to afford a nice car.
- 007 – The names Bond. Snail Bond.
Unique Snail Names
- Grundler – Named after Gretchen Grundler.
Famous Snail Names
- Dr. Dolittle – Dr. D once treated an enormous snail (and even received an Oscar nomination for the scene).
- Randy – Randy the limpet is a character from a Monty Python sketch.
- Flail – Flail Snails are mace-headed monsters from the game Dungeon and Dragons.
- Jellybean – From the Dick Van Dyke show.
- Five-O – There is an episode of Hawaii Five-O where a beautiful poisonous snail is used as a murder weapon.
- Glover – The film which stars Crispin Glover.
- Saillien – From the long-forgotten toy series Snailiens.
- Moogum – From the game Snails.
- Iron-Snail – The DC comic book hero.
- Claveringi – A horror book about snails.
Disney Inspired Names For Snails
- Speedy – From Timon and Pumba.
- Snow White
- Ariel – A good name for a sea snail!
- Moana – Another good choice for a tropical sea snail.
- Tinker Bell
- Pocahontas – Land Snail spirits in Native American mythologies remind us to stay grounded.
- Mulan – The snail is a sign of love and desire in ancient Chinese symbolism.
Cartoon Snail Names
- Gary – From Spongebob Squarepants.
- Mr. Sprout – Store owner in Snailsbury Tales.
- Eric – Mr. Sprout’s assistant.
- Terry – The Snailsbury fireman and chief.
- Percy Shelly – A world-famous artist and sculptor in the Snailsbury Tales universe.
- Mr. Tuggit – The Snailsbury dentist (get it, Mr. tug-it).
- Sergeant Speed – The policeman of Snailsbury.
- Grandpa Mollusc – The oldest and wisest snail in all of Snailsbury (and the world?)
- Kevin – Eric’s younger brother.
- Penny – Eric’s younger sister.
Turbo Snail Names
- Turbo – The main character in Turbo The Snail.
- Chet – Chet is the medic of the Turbo Fast crew.
- Whiplash – Played by Samuel L Jackson.
- Burn – One of the major antagonists in the movie.
- White Shadow – Part of the whiplash crew.
- Skidmark – You will definitely need to explain this name to people….
- Snap – Snap is one of the original characters in the Turbo the snail cartoon.
- Mega Snail – The biggest and best snail… not really. We love turbo more.
Sea And Water Snail Names
- Limpet – If you don’t know what a limpet is you haven’t spent enough time at the beach!
- Whelk – A whelk is a type of sea snail that resides in the lovely conch-shaped shells you find at the beach.
- Periwinkle – Perwinkles are sea snails that are tiny and often found in rock pools.
- Abalone – Abalone are circular shelly ocean critters that could almost be compared to a wide flat snail but are more similar to a clam.
- Hares – Ocean hares are little snail-sluglike creatures that dwell on the ocean floor eating algae.
- Cetus – Cetus is a cruel and oddly shaped sea monster who almost resembles a seal snail.
- Kraken – A legendary Norwegian sea monster that resembled a monstrously large squid.
- Scylla – Syclla was an ancient sea monster who would eat sailors and throw rocks at their passing ships.
- Charybdis – Terrifying sea monster that was born of Poseidon.
- Circe – Daughter of ocean nymphs and ancient greek enchantress.
The inspiration for many of these names is a basis in earth and nature utilizing folklore, mythology, and the naturalists that spent their life trying to uncover the mysteries of the animal kingdom.
Snails have played a subtle role in our ecosystems for millennia going all the way back to the marine gastropods that our fossil records dictate lived 500 million years ago!
While snails have surely twisted and changed and evolved into the sweet little creatures they are today, many of these names play on their more mysterious prehistoric side.
Help Choosing The Perfect Name
Choosing the perfect name is never easy and these kinds of naming guides can be beneficial. That’s why we do them!
If you found a name that really suits your snail then congrats. But, if you haven’t quite got the perfect name yet then chances are you may be looking for a little more help.
The best advice is to take an influential medium from your childhood like storybooks or movies and choose a character that meant something to you as a kid. Maybe as an adult, it still means something to you now!
Hopefully, you now have a fantastic arsenal of snail monikers at your disposal. There are so many snails just waiting to be discovered in and around your garden that you are sure to burn through this list in no time at all!
Snails make wonderful pets, they are easy to care for, and it is a complete delight to watch them in their enclosure and see how they spend their days, rather than the brief glimpse we get of them on a cloudy grey morning every now and again.